Sunday, September 22, 2013

Catholic Church, St. Peter Claver, Macon Georgia, Saint Peter's Catholic Church, Bibb County GA. ST. PETER CLAVER CATHOLIC CHURCH Macon Georgia 131 Ward Street

 Catholic Church, St. Peter Claver,  Macon Georgia,
Saint Peter's Catholic Church, Bibb County GA.

ST. PETER CLAVER CATHOLIC CHURCH Macon Georgia
131 Ward Street
Macon GA. 31024

Catholic Church Macon Phone Number
478-743-1454

133 Ward St. SCHOOL  478-743-3985     

StPeter Claver Catholic Church 
is a very diverse and well-integrated parish of 500 families in MaconGA

St. Peter Catholic Church and School History Marker, Macon Georgia

This African-American parish began in 1888 and was named St. Peter Claver in 1903, 
in honor of the Patron Saint of Negro Missions. The current school, convent, and rectory were built here after the parish moved from Pio Nono Avenue in 1913. The church was built in 1928. This was one of two campuses in Georgia funded by Mother Katherine Drexel (later canonized Saint Katherine Drexel), staffed by her Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament (SBS), and built by Father Ignatius Lissner and the Society of African Missions Fathers (SMA). 
The SMA operated the parish from 1913-1970, and the SBS staffed the school from 1915-2003.

ST. PETER CLAVER CATHOLIC CHURCH Macon Georgia
131 Ward St.
Macon GA.31024

St. Peter Catholic Church Phone Number
478-743-1454